Thursday, April 05, 2007

Full Coffers

In one certain aspect of giving, the coffers are full and the capacity has been reached. The object of generocity that has been exhausted is the friendship with Jane, the lay nun.

I once knew an activist in Seattle who was of South Asian descent. She would go to bars in white supremacist areas and engage in conversations with white supremacists to learn about the inner workings of militantly racist minds. I have no doubt she was putting her life in danger by doing so. Coming to Nepal with Jane was my version of what the South Asian activist did, but minus the life threatening part. My intention also differed. For me it was an exercise in patience and compassion and putting my Buddhist practice into practice. That or I'm really stupid.

I'm nearing the end of my time in Nepal and luckily we are going in our separate directions. Am I sorry I did it? No. She still is a very generous person and I wouldn't have gotten to know Kathmandu or attended so many teachings without her. Would I do something like this again with her or someone like her? Hell no. Being with Jane was a good exercise in breathing it through and not once did I lose it.

As my time in Nepal comes to an end, so does a chapter in a short friendship. And next resumes the chapter on much cherished alone time.

1 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, Blogger Amy Cavosora said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home