Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Pondicherry Day 2

Pondy reminds me a lot of Havana: former colonial town, bright colors, right on the water, some well maintained looking buildings, some not. Pondy was a former French colony, so all the street signs are in French. It's very laid back here compared to Chennai. Still a lot of honk honks from the street, but less hustle and bustle.

I met a tourist from Japan who lives in the U.S in an office supply shop. He wanted tape for envelopes he's sending abroad. Since I had just bought tape for the same purpose, I let him use mine. The shopkeepers didn't like that very much. He's been all over India and has extended his stay a few times. He says that Pondy is clean for India. It is quite cleaner compared to Chennai. I ran into the same guy again later in the day and invited him to join me for some ice cream. Since he's traveled throughout India for the past several months, I got to pick his brain. After a bit of chit chat I was off on a stroll along the beach. It's beautiful and when a strong breeze hits, it's perfect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home